10.10.2011

Kids and sleep

So one time I almost blogged about the three weeks my kids slept in until 8:00 every single day. But then I remembered previous times my kids slept well, and the moment I uttered a word of it to anyone it seemed to somehow anger the Sleep Gods. It is uncanny. I swear, if your child a good sleep don't utter a word to anyone or the sleep you are enjoying will come to a quick end. Yet somehow the reverse is not true. Complain until you are blue in the face about crappy sleep, and it doesn't seem to make them sleep any longer. I don't get it.

Well I can talk about those glorious weeks now because somehow I already ruined it. They started waking up at 7:30... then 7.... then 6:30... and today was a lovely 5:45. What baffles my mind is nothing has changed since the 8:00 days. So I don't know what to do to get it back.

And it's not even so much the sleep I miss. Imagine you have a job. Some days you start at 8. But then some days your boss calls you at 5:30 and tells you, you must be there right now. And no, you don't get to leave any earlier that night. And no, you don't get a longer lunch break. In fact your day will probably be harder than usual because the task you have to deal with is being extremely difficult.... it's something like that. It's like I'm adding 2 hours to my work day with no additional compensation. Plus well rested children are just so much more fun to be around than tired grumpy children.

It's 7:11AM and I've already changed a poopy diaper, fetched drinks of milk, started the dishes (that I should have started last night....) and given one time out to a very whiney 3 year old. It's going to be an awesome day.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I read this post saying to myself "yep...yep...yep...yep..."